Saturday, June 6, 2009

Built FORD Tough

Entering the Catskill Mountains of New York State and winding around tight roads we arrive in Saugerties. Tucked back deep into the woods is our next stop for the next two weeks. Another little piece of paradise to explore. Just up the road, about 15 minutes, is the hallowed ground of Woodstock. Still today you can see some "hippie's" strolling the downtown area wishing or thinking they were still back in 1969. The place of the historic transformation of Rock n Roll actually happened another 20 minutes up the road in another small town called Bethel. Max Yasgur's 600 acre dairy farm was home to 320,000 people who made history that weekend.
Setting up Road Hazard for our stay I was excited about being in this area and already enjoying the beautiful backdrop. What I didn't see coming around the corner would literally take me off my feet.
The next morning I awoke early to get a start on my next assignment but something was wrong. My throat felt like I had swallowed a puffer fish. With its spinney little body pushing against the back of my throat and its fat puffy body making it difficult to swallow. I felt cold even though there were plenty of blankets on me. Oh no, I'm sick. I'll just sleep it off until noon and then go out. Nope. The day was spent exchanging positions from the couch to the bedroom. My eyes were closed more this day than they would be open. Liquids being pumped into me like I was on fire and a rarity, I even was taking aspirin to ease the pain and cool the fever. The next day, which is now Wednesday, I woke up feeling a little better but walking around like I was in a daze. That feeling of your body moving at a normal speed but your brain lags behind just a few seconds. I'm OK. I'll still go out and try to work some. After arriving at my first stop I gathered everything I thought I would need and got out of the car and started walking towards the building. The brain, still a few seconds behind, finally speaks up and asks if anyone has the car keys. What? What? Pressing my nose against the glass I could see the keys still hanging from the ignition. The doors locked, windows closed and no way to get in. Okay, can this get any better? Still in a haze the mind is now trying to get in gear and think MacGyver style. One coat hanger, duct tape, pliers, and a small stick of C4 plastic explosives. No, wait...wrong episode. What I will need for this adventure would be one coat hanger and a stick of chewing gum. I entered the Post Office while casually scanning the "Wanted" posters hoping they haven't caught up to me yet, I explained my dilemma and requested a First Class Coat Hanger. With my tool in hand I next took out a piece of chewing gum. Now I was ready to unlock the Pick Up. Bending the coat hanger and shoving the hooked piece through the back window I was able to finally pry open the window and reach in to unlock the door. And the chewing gum you might be wondering? It was used to help keep my mind focused and clear as I felt the surge of sugar hit my bloodstream. OK New York, what's next?
Friday, the weather is gloomy but I am feeling much better and looking forward to another good day working. Pulling through the intersection after having stopped for the red light the cars ahead of me slowed down once again. Then, that sound that when someone hears it instinctively makes the shoulders rise and their eyes slam shut waiting for the the next sound. The sound tires make when they protest the burden they're put under to hold a 3,000 lb car. The next sound was a loud pop followed by metal crunching up like a beer can on a frat boys forehead. The only problem was that this was followed by my head slamming into the headrest of my seat and my eyes darting up to the mirror. Like two deer's in headlights our eyes met for that brief moment right after impact. My eyes were yelling "What the hell are you doing?" and her young eyes saying "Oh shit, what just happened?" The skies, as if on cue, turned on the sprinklers and showered us as we found the shoulder of the road to examine our carriages. Right away the young girl started to apologize as she shuddered with the realization of what had just happened. The pick up had a 2 inch sliver of rubber ripped on the bumper. Other than that it was just dirty from the dirt and pollen. Her car didn't come out as well. The bumper was still intact but the paint had spidered as the bumper absorbed the impact. The hood, which found its way under my bumper was pushed in and smashed her grill. 45 minutes later the police arrived to fill out the necessary paperwork. While I waited, I started to think that if the events of the last few days would have happened at another time in my life I probably would have been really really pissed off. I'm sitting here mesmerized by the windshield wipers occasionally cleaning the fresh rain drops off the glass thinking that in my life today I am thankful. Not for everything that has happened but for what I have. I realized that this journey has changed the way I see things. Who cares about the small little problems that popped up. We worked through them. This little rip added to the pick up? who cares. Life is too good to worry about the small obstacles. Life is a postcard and we are living in it. Don't worry about the delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment